Thursday, March 12, 2009

Conferences

Dustin and I went to conferences tonight. Same story everytime. Academically, Jayce is AWESOME!! Best at everything in his class...math, reading, writing, etc. He is reading at a level M which is where he should be reading at the END of 2nd grade but she also said that Jayce can read anything they put in front of him so he is probably at a higher level but they didn't test him any higher because the content of the books at the higher levels gets a little deep for 1st graders....WHAT?? If he is able to read at a higher level, I think his brain is probably able to de-code the deep context of 3rd grade level books! We always hear the same thing that Jayce likes to talk over the teacher and the kids focus on Jayce. Well, maybe if they were ACTUALLY teaching Jayce something he didn't already know, then he would listen. But when they are teaching stuff that he already knows, he doesn't need to listen. I'm not saying it is ok that he talks when the teacher is talking but I have discussed with her several times about different things that I think she could try to actually CHALLENGE him and he wouldn't talk so much but she doesn't listen! My child LOVES to learn and if he is working on something he doesn't know...he is very focused and concentrates but when they are counting from 1 to 100 in 1st grade (which he has been doing for years), yes, he is going to be a distraction! I'm a little frustrated if you can't tell but I don't know what to do about it!
It's Spring Break and I'm still trying to figure out where we can go next Thursday-Sunday. I'm thinking we might just go to Kansas City. Jayce hasn't been there since he was 2 I don't think.

1 comment: